About Me

My photo
Read the blog! This blog is about me, my experiences, and my journey toward change.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Did you just say "but why"...

You know what makes me appreciate that I have a child who is well behaved (for the most part)…other people’s children who aren’t so well behaved. He may whine a lot and do little things that get on my nerves but he listens and doesn’t talk back. That’s key! I refuse to allow anyone to talk back to me so I definitely won’t tolerate my child doing so. And I don’t think that he has that many chores. He makes his bed, sorts and puts away his laundry, cleans his room, sweeps the floor and clears the table. Basically, he cleans up after himself. I believe that I am his mother and not his maid. When he is 18, I want to make sure that he knows everything he needs to know in order to survive when he goes off to college. I don’t believe that a child should question authority. They don’t talk back to teachers, preachers, law enforcement or family members. If he is at someone else’s house, I expect nothing less than for him to show that person and their home respect. The rules of my house are not meant to question. You do what you are told, when you are told to do it and you WILL NOT ask questions. There have been 2 occasions that my son has been told to do something and then ask “But why”. Those 2 words together drive me insane! The first time I said “don’t ask, just do it”. The second time he got a visit from Thumpkins (that’s when you get flicked in the head or ear. It doesn’t hurt…well it hurts the ego). Thumpkins and I are homies. And because I run a tight ship, he doesn’t come out often.


I’m not by any means saying that my way is the best. I’m saying some sort of discipline is necessary! It just so happens that my child only needs “the look” to understand what’s right and wrong. Some kids need spankings and by all means parents, go for it! But understand there is a time and a place for it and I am not promoting child abuse at all! If you leave a mark, you’ve passed discipline and become Ike Turner and that’s no good!

I understand kids need to be kids. But you can run and jump and play without being disrespectful! I just don’t understand how people can let their children do whatever it is they want. Let’s teach our kids respect for themselves and others. I bet there would be a lot less violence and children in prisons. And I know for a fact there would be a lot less people that drive me crazy! This hmmmmm…moment was brought to you today by play dates on a rainy day. IT’S NOT A GOOD IDEA!

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Your 'tight ship' running will pay off in the end because your raising a respectable child who will become a respectable adult. Point blank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it...its a simple concept. Why don't people get it!?!

    ReplyDelete