About Me

My photo
Read the blog! This blog is about me, my experiences, and my journey toward change.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

If you really knew me...(inspired by the MTV show)

If you didn’t watch the MTV show “If you really knew me…”, you missed a powerful show and proof that MTV can have a show with actual meaning behind it. If you missed it, you have to see it. Everyone should see this. We need a national “challenge day”. So in honor of the show, here is my version of “if you really knew me…”

If you really knew me, you would know that I only act hardcore to cover my anger and hurt. I hate most men because of my paternal unit and I have shunned most things Armstead related (I’m working on that). If you really knew me you would know that my one goal in life is to make sure that my son becomes the man that I wish my father was. That’s why I tell him I love him every day and the reason I am so hard on him when it comes to housework and schoolwork.

If you really knew me, you would know that my biggest fear is failure and my definition of failure is way different than average failure. Anything less than perfection is failure to me. I also expect so much from other people that sometimes I push them away.

If you really knew me, you’d know that my second biggest fear is being alone. I don’t even like sitting in the house alone for a few minutes. I get really nervous and have to check all the locks and windows several times. Also, I get scared that I’m going to end up like my mother’s sister and never experience true love. If you really knew me, you’d know that I think this is what my family expects.

If you really knew me, you would know that people can talk all the shit in the world to me but one hurtful word from one of my family members tears me apart. I hold on to my families words. I wish I didn’t but I do.
If you really knew me, you’d know that I am about to enter the most exciting journey of my life and I feel like more of a failure than ever (re-read the previous paragraph).

If you really knew me, you’d know I am terrified of becoming fat like the women on my paternal unit’s side of my gene pool. I’d starve myself, take laxatives, and exercise 20 hours a day before I let myself get fat. Its bad enough I have to look in the mirror everyday and see Margret’s face. And what’s even worse is the feeling I have when my mom (or other family) throws it in my face all the time how much I look like “them”. I know how much she dislikes them for what they did to us and when she looks at me I feel like there is a feeling of disgusted, even if it is just my imagination.

If you really knew me, you’d know I didn’t have a group that I was associated with in high school. I wasn’t smart enough to be a nerd (not at the school I went to). I wasn’t cool enough to be popular (and actually that was ok with me). I wasn’t weird enough to be a freak. The friends that I did have are pretty much all gone. I never talked to any of the guys after high school (Keith, Joe, Kevin, etc.) and no one knows what happened to Gary! Sara was another case of “my boyfriend of a few months is more important that my friends of years”. Man, I seem to be getting a lot of that lately. What a shame because she is a great person. Robin is in the world that Robin has always been in! LOL! She’s cool peeps and everyone should have a “Robin”. All I really have left is Ashley, which is enough to replace lots of space in my heart. Heck, she married one of my best friends from high school, Paul, and I don’t really talk to him either (except when I stay at their house or I have a car or Mario related question). I guess having a few good friends is better than none or a bunch of bad friends but I miss a lot of those people.

Oh, I could go on forever but after an hour crying watching the show and choking back tears to write this, I’m exhausted. But I leave you with this: make your own challenge day. Challenge yourself to step outside your box and interact with someone you normally would not. Express yourself and don’t hold back! Happy Challenge Day!

7 comments:

  1. Car or Mario related question? Lmao!
    You did a good job. I don't know if I could write one of these and actually post it for everyone to read. I just don't know. I know it would be hard for me to write. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched it last night too, an i cried. wish they would have had this challenge at my school when i went....glad you had the mentality an guts to post the if i really knew you's!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone has their hurts and wounds. It is not as important to let others know you forgive them for their trespasses against you as it is to forgive yourself. It may sound crazy, but one day stand in front of the bathroom mirror and say, "I forgive YOU". Forgive yourself for being angry. Forgive yourself for hurting others because you could not direct your anger in the right place (i.e. your father). You cannot control other, but you can control the things you do and the way you treat others. Recognize the mistakes you have made and work on not repeating them. The best thing you can do for your son is to show him that although life might not go as you expect, YOU have the power adapt and handle what life gives you. Be is role model. Don't make your issues (absent father, hurt feelings) his issues. Just as you change, so can the next person. Your father may not have been there for you, but he could be the grandfather to your child if you let him.
    The purpose of Challenge Day was to get to know others beyond what you see on the outside, have heard or think. What if your father was to say, "If you really knew me, you would know that I have made mistakes which have hurt others"? You have to think, we all have our weaknesses or things we struggle with. Life's challenges are opportunities for learning and growth. Step outside the box and challenge yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. all in favor that fight4it is wrong...do I even know you? And DUH!! He f-ed up big time. You really shouldn't go commenting on blogs of people you don't know because your comments are completely asinine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry you missed the point of the comment. Maybe in time you will see things a little differently. You may not realize who I am, but if you really knew me, you would know that I do not want you to miss out on the joys of life holding on to the past or your fears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you missed the point of my comment. I don't know you so don't comment on my blog and my life.

    ReplyDelete