About Me

My photo
Read the blog! This blog is about me, my experiences, and my journey toward change.

Monday, August 9, 2010

One day soon...or not

Diet update: I let go of the rules for the weekend and I still stuck to them anyway. I didn’t have any soda, candy or junk. I snacked on Stacy’s pita chips and fruit! I spent most of the weekend playing Wii fit. I forgot how much fun it was. I had a blast and so did Christian. I actually came in at one point on Saturday and he had pulled everything back out and started playing again! We have a competition going as to who can keep the most records on the game…I’m winning by a lot.

My hmmm moment comes from a conversation that I had with my mother yesterday…yes we talked and didn’t yell! AMAZING! Anywho, my mom has been in Illinois since 2001. I have been here since 2003. I asked my mom if it bothered her that no one comes to visit her but she’s expected to come to Ohio every other month (don’t ask how the topic came up…it only upsets me). She instantly said “I got over it a long time ago”. Then she paused and said “yes”. It’s funny how something bothers you so long and you try to get over it but can’t and you have to think about the real response. What’s sad is I got to thinking about it and can tell you who has been here and how many times but I couldn’t begin to count how many times I’ve driven to Columbus for a birthday or holiday or just because. June was the beginning of my 7th year here. My family has been here twice; the first Thanksgiving and my college graduation. My brother makes it a point to come here a few times a year. My best friends Ashley and Paul came to see me graduate. My aunt came to see the new house. She’s funny. Her reason was “if I’m on the phone with you and you tell me you are in the family room, I want to be able to picture where you are”.
I guess I’m trying to say I don’t expect people to drop everything for me but it still bothers me. The thing that really gets me is people, who have never made an effort to come see me here, bitch at me when I come to Columbus and don’t see them. There are 20 years of love, life, and friends in that city and I can’t be expected to relive it every visit. It’s the same 45 minute flight or 6 hour drive from Columbus to where I am. I’ve made the drive so many times I can tell you what cities to stop in and where to get gas. And I must say the best rest stop is on 70 East just after you cross into Ohio and Lebanon, IN usually has the cheapest gas.

In the same part of my heart that holds these feelings is where I hold my cousin who lives in South Carolina. I haven’t been there since they bought the house. I’ve seen lots of pictures. Heck my son has been! I’m going to get there, especially now that I regained my soul which I sold to YHS! And I’m sure that people say the same thing about coming here…”I’ll get there one day soon” and the one day becomes 7 years.

3 comments:

  1. I relate to this post because who knows how many times I've said out my mouth "I'm coming to visit!" and haven't made it past Cincy unless it is for a vacation. I'll say (since I've known you for a while) it was a complete shock when you left, and although we weren't that close any more I did miss you. I knew you had your reasons, and it was time for you to complete your journey else where.

    I'm glad to see/know your doing so well. I love what your Aunt said...because I know what she means. Hopefully sooner than later you and your Mom will have more visitors...until then keep doing what your doing because things are happening this way for a reason.

    Later Tater....Jasmine ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel.. i was just thinking the other day that I needed to see if I could come down before this here baby popped out but I don't think so. By the time I bought a ticket it would either be expensive or too late in the pregnancy. Bah! And I'm betting you wouldn't want to hear a story about me betting up airport staff because they wouldn't let me on the plane.. yes you would. Lmao!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jasmine-thanks. Although I told people I left because of Christian, I had checked out of OU long before that. It was during winter break of our freshman year that I realized I didn't want to be there but I had to go back. I stuck it out for a while but 2 years was enough for me! And you are right. It was apart of my journey.

    Ashley-I guess it wouldn't be a good idea for you to travel now.

    ReplyDelete